I have completed my MBBS a couple of years back and I have been trying to get into a post-graduation course. The following are my thoughts and "research" about what I really want to do. So I'll make this post about thinking out loud about my future. Hope you guide me (in the comments).
Thinking out loud:
Medicine is a complicated, immersive and all-consuming experience. It is frightening to realise that people's lives depend on the stroke of your pen. It is, therefore, imperative that one acquire requisite knowledge and skills through intensive and structured training before one begins to practice.
Post graduation, for doctors, comes in many names and flavours. Getting into the details of all of them would be impossible within the scope of this article. If you're interested, you can go through the entire list of medial degrees recognised in India.
So, coming to my subject choice for Post-graduation:
MD in Internal Medicine
Internal medicine is a speciality subject taught in many countries by that very name. It deals with (mostly) diseases of adults and the doctors are commonly referred to as "physicians" as opposed to "surgeons." Why not surgery? Nothing per se - I just like the subject of my choice. The game (art) of diagnosis beats any video game / chess / cricket / etc. hands down.
And where from?
The School of Clinical Medicine, University of Cambridge, UK.
I'll work out the admission details when I have to. I'm sure it'll be smooth.
So, why the UK?
1. Gaining a world-class education - the UK is a world leader in education.
2. Great value for money - a UK degree is worth every "penny."
4. Well structured courses. Time tested and refined.
5. Expert faculty - thanks to a tradition of excellence.
6. Good working conditions. Good work-hours.
7. Lot more PG seats in Medicine than here (Sadly, present situation here isn't very encouraging).
8. No language problem (we do our MBBS in English here in India).
9. Scholarships on offer (not sure if for my stream as well.)
10. Feel at home with the huge Indian diaspora.
11. Lots of Indian students on campus as well.
12. If you have the skills, you can shine.
13. Adventure of a lifetime as well - see the world beyond my own shores. Get an international exposure.
14. Safe and open country
And why Cambridge of all places?
1. Cambridge is one of the best universities in the world in terms of its academic reputation.
2. Ranked 1st in the 2013 Guardian, Sunday Times and Complete University Guides.
3. Ranked 5th for teaching, research and innovation in the 2012 QS World University Rankings.
4. Cambridge is one of the three most targeted universities by top employers according to The Graduate Market in 2012.
(Source : http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/whycambridge/)
Knowledge is great and it's great if I can acquire some (of my choice) from Great Britain.
Find out more at : http://knowledgeisgreat.in/
This post is an entry for the Knowledge is Great contest on IndiBlogger.in. Images sourced from relevant Wikipedia articles / Wikimedia Commons.